Millennials – now one of the largest generations alive – are a generation like no other that has come before them. When it comes to marketing to millennials, it’s about way more than first impressions. Once you have their attention, you have to spoil them with a truly fantastic experience. No matter what industry you are in, millennials will respond best when you learn how to speak their language.
Marketing to Millennials in Health Care
How does the healthcare industry speak the language of a millennial? Does it mean you need to know what it means to be “on fleek” or to “slay” your service? Not quite … although in millennial-speak, that would be a compliment! Speaking the language of the millennial in a healthcare setting actually has more to do with not speaking to them at all, until absolutely necessary. Millennials are about technology, convenience, and independence.
Why Health Care Providers Struggle with Marketing to Millennials
The healthcare industry has not always been quick to embrace change. Some doctors simply value a more traditional healthcare setting with more personal communication. Many healthcare facilities are concerned new technologies and processes will violate HIPPA regulations. And sometimes in a healthcare setting it’s hard to keep up with change while maintaining the patient experience they’ve already created. However, many healthcare organizations are recognizing the need to evolve to remain competitive in their field.
Marketing to Millennials in Health Care
If you are ready to make some changes in order to provide the healthcare experience that millennials are looking for, here are a few steps to get you started:
- Your Website – In 2017, you simply MUST have a website. Websites are the first place that a millennial will search to find a healthcare provider. A millennial will find your website, browse through every page, and analyze your practice or facility to see if your culture is in line with their needs.
- Develop a Presence Online – Yes, you must have a website. BUT, your website must also be easily found by the millennial searching for a new provider. Word of mouth is no longer the way to go. While millennials do seek out recommendations from their friends, they will ultimately go with the provider that they connect with the most. Make sure your website is visible in search results so you will be in the running!
- Be Convenient – Millennials live in a very fast-paced world and a world of convenience. They’ve grown up with technology at their fingertips. The most attractive healthcare facilities cater to this need by making it easy to schedule appointments, get test results, and communicate with doctors online. Speaking of results – millennials want them FAST.
- Be Collaborative – Millennials like to be involved in the decision-making process for all aspects of their lives. They value providers who show them their options, give them choices, and seek out their opinions about the next step. They want to know the “why” behind a decision or diagnosis. Taking a collaborative approach to healthcare with the millennial will go a long way in earning their trust and loyalty.
- Show Off, But in a Humble Way – Millennials have been taught to research. They are looking for an indication that you know what you are talking about and that you can provide them with the best healthcare possible. Blogging can help set you apart from other healthcare providers and facilities by sharing valuable information on topics millennials are researching such as different health conditions, when to see a doctor for certain conditions and other health-related topics. Show off what you know, but be humble. Show your value to the millennial without flaunting it. Remember, millennials like to be a part of their healthcare decisions. They need you to be a partner more than an authority over this area of their lives. Post your blogs to social media to further your reach.
Learn More About Marketing to Millennials
Technology in healthcare continues to evolve and the millennial generation is dominating. If you want to remain competitive, it’s no longer an option to “opt out” of delivering an experience that will attract and retain millennials as patients. ITVibes is a leader in healthcare marketing solutions. Contact us to learn more about how to get started with a website and content marketing strategy that will speak to today’s generation.